The Illinois Rental Payment Program is an emergency rental assistance program designed to support households in Illinois who cannot pay rent due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
HODC is here to help Illinois residents navigate the application process, to access computers and the internet, and answer questions about qualifications. Services are available in American Sign Language for individuals who are Deaf, Deaf-Blind, and hard of hearing.
The application portal opens on Monday, May 17, 2021, and closes on June 6, 2021.
2021 Illinois Rental Payment Program – IHDA
- Priority will be given to:
- Households with a member who is currently unemployed.
- Households below 50% of the Area Median Income (AMI), adjusted for household size.
- Eligible households may receive up to 15 months of assistance from June 2020 through August 2021.
- The grant is paid directly to the housing provider.
The application will be a joint application from the housing provider and the tenant. You are strongly encouraged to communicate with each other and begin preparing your materials.
To be eligible for the Illinois Rental Payment Program, your household must be:
- Behind on your rent for at least 30 days
- Live in Illinois and rent your home as your primary residence
- Have a total gross income that does not exceed 80% of the Area Median Income (AMI) for your location
- Have experienced a financial hardship directly – or indirectly – due to the pandemic, for example:
- Being laid off
- Place of employment has closed
- Reduction in hours of work
- Loss of spousal/child support
- Inability to find work due to COVID-19
- Having to stay home with children due to closure of daycare/school
- Unable to participate in previous employment due to the workplace’s high risk of severe illness from COVID-19
- At risk of homelessness or housing instability
- Evidence of past-due rent
- Copy of 2019 Property Tax Bill or 2021 monthly mortgage statement
- Grant payment information for check distribution
- Current signed lease (if available)
- SSN or ITIN
- Employer Identification Number (if payment is made to a business entity)
- Rental unit information (unity type, address, rent amount)
- Fully executed and current property management agreement (if payment is made to a property manager)
- Valid email address
- Government-issued photo ID
- A utility bill or proof of address (if the address on your ID is not your current address)
- Monthly rent and amount past-due
- Proof of the household income in 2020
- Proof of public assistance (if applicable)
- Valid email address
- Proof of immigration status (or social security number) is NOT required